Thursday, January 26, 2012

Short Review: Everything Matters!

Another tiny review. This time I've chosen one of the books that had a huge impact on me last year.



RON CURRIE, JR.: EVERYTHING MATTERS!
This is one of those books that seem indescribable. It would only ruin the experience if I tried to put into words what this book is truly about. Therefore I'll stick to a tagline-like description of the plot. Junior Thibodeau is born into the world with very exact knowledge of when and how the world will end. This is of course a heavy burden to bear for a child and it influences his life greatly.

I know this doesn't sound like much. It might even seem trivial or cheap. So you'll just have to trust me on this one when I say that it's not. Throughout the book Currie, Jr. changes narrator in what might be one of the most elegant ways I've ever read. It opens up the story in the most profound way and is a stroke of genius.  The different narrators have their own distinct voice and when the story changes perspective it always does so for important reasons that drive the plot forward. Currie, Jr. also switches between first-person and third-person for reasons that slowly reveal themselves as the story progresses.

Everything Matters! is a literary work of art. This is the only way I find suffices when trying to convey why you should read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment